World Congress of Scottish Literatures: Dialogues and Diasporas
The second World Congress of Scottish Literatures will be held in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada from June 21-25, 2017 and will coincide with the annual meeting of the Eighteenth-Century Scottish Studies Society. The Congress’s subtitle, “Dialogues and Diasporas,” speaks to the range of ways in which Scotland is articulated both at home and within a global context. At the same time, it acknowledges the multiple roles Scotland has played in the production of both globalism and localism.
The geographical location of the conference on the West Coast of Canada draws particular attention to two key themes of the conference:
1. Indigenous/Scottish relations and 2. Transpacific/Scottish connections
The steering committee invites proposals for papers that explore these or any of the following themes:
• Imagining Scotland at home and abroad
• Connections between Scottish/non-Scottish writers, texts, genres
• Diaspora, migration and immigration
• Scotland in/and empire
• Globality, locality, glocalism
• Scottish literature/world literature
• Teaching Scottish literature in the world/teaching world literature in Scotland
• Scotland and the transatlantic
• Internal dialogues in Scottish writing
• Scottish literature and the dialogue across time
• Scotland, race and indigeneity
We also welcome pre-organized panels on any of these topics. In keeping with the conference’s focus on dialogue and in order to maximize discussion and participation, panel organizers are encouraged to explore alternatives to the traditional format of three to four papers: workshops, roundtables, lightning talks, pecha kucha.
Please note that in the interests of involving as many people as possible, participants are asked to present only one paper at the meeting; however, they may also serve on a roundtable/discussion or as a discussant.
Deadline for submissions of papers and panels: Oct. 1, 2016.
Further information about the conference is available athttps://dialoguesanddiasporas.wordpress.com/
Please send submissions to: Leith Davis at email@example.com